Browse Items (43 total)

  • Collection: Historic Bethabara Park Archaeology Collection

2018.2.2a.jpg
Green ware pipe measuring 2" long, 1.625" tall, and 1" wide. The pipe is made of white clay glazed with copper oxide lead glaze on the exterior. A significant section of the pipe bowl is broken..

The pipe features a fluted body with a human face…

Bethabra-01807.jpg
Restored ceramic teapot manufactured by Moravian potter Gottfried Aust. It measures 5.5" tall, 7" long, and 4" wide.

The brown glazed pieces are original, and the yellow, unglazed portions were created by the archaeologists during restoration.…

Bethabra-01976.jpg
Restored ceramic teacup manufactured by Moravian potter Gottfried Aust. It measures 2" tall, 2.875" diameter, and 3.5" long across handle.

The brown and yellow glazed pieces are original, and the matte-brown unglazed portions were created by the…

Bethabra-01813.jpg
Restored ceramic saucer manufactured by Moravian potter Gottfried Aust. It measures 1.125" tall, 4.5" diameter. The brown and yellow glazed pieces are original, and the matte-yellow unglazed portions were created by the archaeologists during…

Bethabra-01968.jpg
Water jug reconstructed from ceramic sherds recovered from Aust Waster Dump #2, indicating it was constructed between 1756 and 1760.

The jug is made from buff colored clay. The interior is coated in a matte black glaze. This glaze covers the…

Bethabra-01827.jpg
This unfired, polychrome decorated slipware plate is reconstructed from sherds recovered from Gottfried Aust’s Waster Dump #1. South dates the use of this area as a pottery dump to 1763-1771.

The plate body is made of redware, covered with white…

Bethabra-01899.jpg
Redware stove tile of the pattern produced by Gottfried Aust. Stove tiles were manufactured in Bethabara as early as November, 1756, when ceramic stoves were installed in the Gemeinhaus and Single Brothers House. Ceramic Stoves were eventually placed…

Bethabra-01972.jpg
Redware stove tile of the pattern produced by Gottfried Aust. Stove tiles were manufactured in Bethabara as early as November, 1756, when ceramic stoves were installed in the Gemeinhaus and Single Brothers House. Ceramic Stoves were placed in most of…

Bethabra-01969.jpg
Redware oil lamp manufactured by Gottfried Aust in Bethabara. This lamp is coated in a brown glaze. The brown color was obtained by adding manganese oxide to the lead glaze.

The lamp’s design is unique. It has a base similar to candlesticks found…

Bethabra-01958.jpg
Unglazed pipe made of white clay,

This is one of Gottfried Aust's smooth, plain style pipes. This style pipe was manufactured in the Bethabara Pottery between 1756-1771. Aust's pipes were made with a pipe press and brass molds. The mold seam is…