Christ Pattern Corner Stove Tile

Bethabra-01911.jpg
IMG_6107.JPG

Dublin Core

Title

Christ Pattern Corner Stove Tile

Subject

South, Stanley A.
Archaeology.
Wachovia (N.C.)—History.
Artifacts.
Pottery.
Moravians.
Christ, Rudolph, 1750-1833.
Fehon, Jacqueline R.
Clauser, John W. Jr.

Description

Redware stove tile of the pattern produced by Rudolph Christ. Stove tiles were manufactured in Bethabara as early as November, 1756, when ceramic stoves were installed in the Gemeinhaus and Single Brothers House. Ceramic Stoves were placed in most of the structures in Bethabara, including the refugee cabins built in the Mill Fort.

This tile’s face is decorated with a raised design referred to by archaeologist Jaqueline R. Fehon as a “spiral flower.” A small flower decorates each corner. The applied finish called “blackening” and utilized carbon to achieve the matte black color. An original stove in the 1788 Bethabara Gemeinhaus is made with matching tiles.

The corner tile was made by pressing two pieces of clay into two molds. One mold was square, the other rectangular. The wet tiles were then removed from the molds and laid face-up on coarse cloth, such as osnaburg linen, to dry. The textile pattern can be seen on the inside of the tile, as is a great deal of soot from use. Once dry, the two tiles were joined together with red slip at a 90 degree angle, producing a corner. A wall was then built on the interior with coils of clay. The outlines of holes for vertical alignment pins are visible on the horizontal interior corners.

A partially obscured marking is visible on one side. It appears to read “B68-2” in black ink. No corresponding archaeological feature labeled B68 has been found in the archaeological records. However, MEDSA has a tile mold of this pattern marked "R.C." Christ was manufacturing Pottery in Bethabara from 1786-1789, but it is likely this could have also come from the period he operated his pottery in Salem. It should be noted that a very similar tile was recovered from a waster dump associated with the Krause-Butner Pottery, and is attributed to Johann Krause by archaeologist John Clauser.

Dimensions: 8.375” tall, 3.875” wide, 7.875” long.

Creator

Christ, Rudolph, 1750-1833

Date

1786-1821

Type

Physical Object

Format

JPEG

Identifier

2018.2.29

Source

OC2-Historic Bethabara Park Archaeology Collection Exhibit

Relation

Historic Bethabara Park Archaeology Collection

Rights

Rights held by Historic Bethabara Park, Inc. Use and reproduction restrictions apply. Contact Historic Bethabara Park Archives.

Rights Holder

Historic Bethabara Park, Inc.

Citation

Christ, Rudolph, 1750-1833, “Christ Pattern Corner Stove Tile,” Historic Bethabara Park Collections, accessed April 17, 2021, https://historicbethabarapark.omeka.net/items/show/51.