Teacup

IMG_6251.JPG
IMG_6253.JPG

Dublin Core

Title

Teacup

Subject

Fehon, Jacqueline R.
Clauser, John W. Jr.
Archaeology.
Wachovia (N.C.)--History.
Artifacts.
Pottery.
Moravians.
Krause, Johann Gottlob, 1760-1802.

Description

This cup, classified as a teacup by archaeologist Jacqueline Fehon, was recovered from the Krause-Butner Potter site. It is made of white, or kaolin clay, with slight redish mottling and was thrown on a potter’s wheel. The body is quite delicate as the sides are barely 1/8” thick throughout. The bowl rests on a small foot. Two identical bowls were recovered; neither shows any indication of a handle ever being attached. Both are in the bisque state; glaze was never applied.

John Clauser attributes this piece to Johann Krause. On January 6, 1789, Krause moved from Salem to the old Gunsmith Shop in Bethabara. On November 4, 1789, he moved his pottery and residence to Johannes Staub. Krause continued producing pottery for there until he sold his business to Johannes Butner in 1802 due to failing health. He passed away shortly after.

This cup is marked 31FS6 6-4 in black in on the bottom and interior.

Dimensions: 3.5” dia rim, 2.875” foot, 2” tall.

Creator

Krause, Johann Gottlob, 1760-1802

Date

1789-1802

Type

Physical Object

Format

JPEG

Identifier

2018.2.38

Source

OC2-Historic Bethabara Park Archaeology Collection Exhibit

Relation

Historic Bethabara Park Archaeology Collection

Rights

Rights held by Historic Bethabara Park, Inc. Use and reproduction restrictions apply. Contact Historic Bethabara Park Archives.

Rights Holder

Historic Bethabara Park, Inc.

Citation

Krause, Johann Gottlob, 1760-1802, “Teacup,” Historic Bethabara Park Collections, accessed March 4, 2021, https://historicbethabarapark.omeka.net/items/show/60.